Monday, November 22, 2004

Did I mention…

Did I mention that my 16-year-old nephew is learning how to play Moonlight Sonata? It’s heavenly… even if he’s just learning.

About 2 years ago, I found an upright piano at a thrift store for $139.00. I fell in love with it instantly. It’s always been a dream of mine, since I was a wee little girl, to own my very own piano. I HAD to get it.

The wood finish needs touch up, a couple of the keys have cracked tips, and it was very out of tune… but all in all it was a steal!

I paid $75 to have it tuned and plan to refinish the piano slowly. I want the dark cherry wood look, but I’m still thinking… maybe a rich midnight blue… that would be so cool.

Anyway, I’ve been playing the electric keyboard since I was 12- all self taught… and I still to this day can’t follow sheet music, but I’ve never bothered to seriously learn. The music I play flows through my body like the poetry I write. It just comes… from my soul.

Again, another expressive means to reflect my feelings. I have made tapes and allowed friends to listen, some of which never believed it was me playing until I performed for them. As is my art, my music is very personal- so only a select few have seen me play, with the exception of my family- who has heard me bang on things making tunes since I was a little girl.

I have this electric keyboard (at one point, I owned 3 and use to midi all together for great symphonic movements- now I have 2 that I rarely use since I got the real piano)… where was I… oh yeah… I have this electric keyboard that teaches you how to play songs… and my nephew asked if he could play it one day. He started trying to learn various songs… it’s always heavenly to hear young people learn music… in any form. I suggested he learn how to play Moonlight Sonata… my favorite piece in the world… and he is.

I myself never learned it because as I always had a tendency to make my own music… maybe I’ll have my nephew teach me as he goes.

Piano 2