Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Aging Puppy

Lately George, my beloved mini schnauzer, has been showing the signs of his age. He’s 12 now… and it is really starting to get to me…

My precious puppy… the one creature in the world that loves me unconditionally, is aging. He has trouble jumping up on my bed… he’s not as perceptive as he use to be… and he sleeps more.

Every night for the last 2 weeks he’s been waking me up at 3-4am to take him outside… I always let George go outside right before we go to bed… but he goes more frequently. He had an accident the other night… and he hasn’t had one of those in years.

It makes me feel bad to think of how difficult it is to grow old- especially on an animal. They can’t tell you what’s wrong, what hurts or if they feel ok. You have to pretty much guess at their behavior.

I love my George, frequently more than I love my own life. He has brought so much joy to me… so much happiness and laughter… the thought of losing him destroys me completely.