Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Programmed Modes…

There are points in my life where the mundane robot in me takes over and I seem to follow the programming of daily routine. Wake, Pee, Work, Eat, Work, Pee, Work, Sleep- Dream of Work.

I drive home… the drive takes 45 minutes- a straight shot home. There are times I don’t remember switching lanes, I don’t remember passing certain exits or entire stretches of highway… like I just blanked out and poof I’m home.

It’s like I follow a program implanted in my brain… a program of habit and routine.

People get settled in their programming… they maintain a routine of their daily rituals, their eating patterns and their sleeping patterns, etc. For some people having anything unexpected tossed into their daily program throws them totally off balance… causing panic, moodiness and makes their whole day seem to go down.

I guess that could be considered a form of compulsive behavior too… anyway...

I like unexpected things, whether good or bad. Sometimes I like to do sporadic things… anything that keeps me on my toes… tests my skills or challenges my thought. There are times I do like to keep to my routine though… and yes- if something causes me to break that routine- I get a little grumpified. If I plan on coming home at a specific time, peel off my work clothes and lounge… that’s what I want to do. If I have to work late because of a last minute request or run an errand after I’ve already changed clothes… I get a little bent out of shape. I huff and puff and grumble about it.

I think as we age, we tend to follow routines more and more. We get set in our ways… our habits… and if things change we get bent out of shape. I hope to be an eccentric older lady… although I’m guessing I’ll be an old spinster with tons of cats & dogs… I’d like to be spontaneous and down right nutty. Maybe one day instead of prunes I’ll eat apricots… maybe I’ll dye my hair a real blue… bright blue… to literally be a little blue haired old lady.

Whatever becomes of me… I hope I don’t fall into the mundane routine of old age… just waiting to die… like my parents.