Monday, December 13, 2004

What About Nigeria ?!

*Note: Maps will be posted later.

Ok… so you all know by now I signed up with an on-line dating service. What you didn’t know was that I had been talking with this guy for a couple of weeks. He was claiming to be a model on a photo shoot in Nigeria (Africa).

An exchange of photos (a very good looking model type guy pic) and a few chats later… the guy suddenly has a problem! Oh my! My eyes rolled in the back of my head, but I played along. His manager only had an American Cashier’s check to pay him with! And he couldn’t cash it in Nigeria, he had no cash… no way of using credit cards… blah blah. So, he wanted to know if he could trust me… to send me the check, I cash it and western union the money to him.

This seemed like a big crock of shit- so I did some research. There is this major scam going on all over the world… that involves people sending counterfeit cashiers checks to people- and having them union back the money, allowing the victim to keep an amount of it… knowing this check can’t be cashed, they want you to deposit it directly into your bank account. Anyway… once it’s discovered the check is bogus… you are totally screwed.

Am I crazy? Yes…. Just a little… I was intrigued- I wanted to play investigator. So, with a little back and forth play on- “oh honey, when I get back to the states we will finally be together…” gag-spew-hurl… He sent the check via Fedx. This was Friday. The check was for $6200.00- which wasn’t even the amount he originally told me it was for. Also, throughout our little chat sessions… he couldn’t keep his information straight… not to mention type/spell worth a hooha.

I rushed home to get the check… and that’s all it was… a check in a Fedx envelope. Nothing more… I took it the bank, and asked the cashier to call the Bank that this check was suppose to be from to confirm it was counterfeit. I told the lady I had suspicions it was… and sure enough… there was no such account.

SoOo, I came home and called up the police and reported the incident. Well, needless to say, because this was sent from Africa- my little hometown police prolly won’t don’t much about it… in fact, the damn rookie (yes rookie, he even told me so) was in aw that something like this was even going on. But I let him take the check, the fedx, the information the scam artist gave to me and a relay phone number the guy used to call me. They are assigning it to a detective, I have a case number, and blah blah.

Knowing my little town policía probably wouldn’t/couldn’t do much… I also made a report out to the American Embassy closest to the city that this guy said he was in.

Later Friday… that guy- who’s handle is educatedtruth btw (LOL)- was eager to find out if I sent the money. I toyed with him for a bit… then he started to get noticeably irritated. So I spilled the beans on the whole fiasco. Oh my Goddess was he pissed. LOL… he carried on the game for a little while longer… and then told me I had 7 days to live, that god would be my judge and that all thieves deserve to die.

I responded that he was condemning himself and that yes… god(dess) would judge. I also gave him a spill about how he was a terrorist demon preying on the weakness of lonely women.

I am nuts… ok- so sister’s very upset about the situation… and it probably wasn’t the brightest thing I’ve ever done. But I enjoyed it… it was exhilarating- I was Colombo for a bit.

What’s funny about it today is that the guy wrote me a big old long love letter, saying he wants to be with me and make me his wife. ROFL… I replied did you forget that you wished me dead in 7 days? Or are you mistaking me for another one of your poor girl victims…

He happened to be on-line… told me he was sorry, that he was just angry with me. He didn’t mean those things…

LOL… so he’s still carrying on the charade. I told him that only terrorist threaten people’s lives and that he was a mistaken if he thought I would listen/believe him. And I ended the conversation.

I don’t recommend anyone doing this… I also don’t recommend you continue chatting with someone who presents an issue they need your help with… unless you truly know the person already.

On a different note…

Nigeria seems like an awful place to be… There are tons of places people say Americans shouldn’t even attempt to go- even the country’s official web sites have warnings… getting in Nigeria is difficult… but getting out could prove deadly.

And while being there… sheesh… did you read what I posted about the crime in the county? It is true that American's can't cash checks, use credit cards or get currency exchanged... even transfer money from bank to bank.

Though he is a scam artist... theif... terrorist... I have a wee tiny spec of pitty for someone stuck in Lagos (Apapa region), Nigeria. I don't think I'd wish my worst enemy there.