Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Disappearing Acts

Easy come, Easy Go… Isn’t it strange how many people come into your life and suddenly disappear with out a trace?

I could understand if turmoil was the cause of the disappearance… but when things appear to be going well, when you have a friendship established and the last time you talked the conversation was left on a positive note- then suddenly that person disappears- it’s quite baffling. Not to mention quite disappointing.

No phone call, no email no text message… just *poof*… vanished seemingly off the face of the earth.

You know- with friends it’s generally a common courtesy that you say: ‘Hey, I’m going to be really busy or out of town, so you may not hear from me for a while.’ Otherwise, it leaves people hanging… left to ponder what gruesome demise you have suffered to totally disappear with out a word- without warning. One left in this manner may also ponder: ‘What did I do to piss that person off soOo much that they just *poof* out of my life.’

I rarely let people in for this particular reason. You know that list I wrote up about 10 things I suffer to find… that wasn’t all about myself… it was about finding some of those traits in other people. It is so tough to find true friends today. People you can trust and count on to be your loyal honest pal.

People care less and less about small friendships- throwing them away with yesterday’s garbage. Not having enough respect or meaning for them to say good-bye. This makes it very difficult for me to trust anyone and let down my people-repelling force field.

And what happens if a person that had disappeared for a few months suddenly resurfaced? What if they try to contact you… what do you say? Me… I tell them ‘Man I thought you were dead or something, you just vanished.’ Unless they give me an extremely good reason- (death in the family and I had to take time away from the world… I got sent to Iraq on a moments notice… I had a sex change and wanted to surprise you as Hilda instead of Henry) I’m going to tell that person that they must not have had any value for our friendship or respect for me as a person to let me know they were going to be gone a while. Then I would probably not have much to do with that person from that point on.

Think that’s harsh? That’s how I feel. I wouldn’t go *poof* on you without warning… I respect my friends more than that… I may not tell you what exactly is going on, but I would at least let you know I was going to be out of commission.

What are your thoughts on disappearing friends? What would you do if they resurfaced after a few months?


P.S. Please continue to vote on the images below!