Thursday, October 27, 2005

Drama Queendom…

Why yes, I am a drama queen, thank you very much. I want you to feel what I feel, see what I see and experience what I experience. I make outrageous facial expressions, use action packed hand gestures and extremely descriptive, unusual words.

If I can convey the emotional aspect of my message, leaving you feeling what I feel, etc., I have not just communicated with you, I have also attempted to share with you the actual experience as I did.

My expressive nature can be considered a curse or a delight- depending…

Sometimes…

I would rather not express exactly what I am thinking but, unfortunately, my facial expressions give me away- driving me to be- not just honest but brutally honest, as I’ve been told.

Let’s say you cooked what you deem a wonderful meal and are anxious to share it with me… expecting grand praise of some sort… but instead receive a puckered, disgusted look- starting from the moment I took a ‘whiff’ of it to the moment I hesitantly took a small bite. I am unable to finish the meal and I am unable to provide you the courtesy of not telling you what I think… my facial expression tells all and encourages you to ask what is wrong. Then, having been asked, I am compelled to tell you exactly what I think is wrong with it or what I don’t like about it.

You are insulted!

“Well fine! I will never cook for you again since you hate this so much!”

“oOoOh now come on (eyebrows forming the sympathetic triangle), just because I don’t like this particular dish doesn’t mean I think your entire range (stretching one arm outward, moving it in a swinging motion from one side of my body to the opposite) of cooking sucks… it might actually be pretty good (head nodding, eyebrows perked with possibility) if you didn’t put so many onions, along with all the Cajun spices, in it. It kills (disturbed facial squint) the taste of the entire meal for me because my eyes are watering (opening my eyes wide- and with my eyes that’s no small thing), my nose is running and I’m choking down water every couple bites (grabbing my throat).”

“Well everyone else says it’s fabulous! ‘You’ seem to be the only one that has problems with it.”

“I’m not everyone else, my particular taste buds are different and I have a delicate pallet (sarcastic chortle). No need to get upset over this… (shaking my head back and forth), I’m not trying to hurt your feelings, ‘I’ (hand spread-finger on my chest) just didn’t care for this particular dish because it was too spicy- so maybe it is just ‘me.’ (shrugging, with palms up, then dropping arms, hands slapping legs as if suggesting “I give up”)

“What eh-ver!”

You do not talk to me for several days.

That ‘type’ of scenario happens to me frequently. This particular scenario did not happen, but is a variant of one that did happen and a meal my sister cooked (my sister does not get upset if I don’t like what she cooks, btw- she just shrugs and says “I like it,” and that’s it).

In the end, I reassured you that it wasn’t you directly; it was just this particular meal. I explained what exactly caused my dislike and that it wasn’t meant as an insult… ultimately giving you the benefit that it could very well be just ‘me.’

What is so ‘brutal’ about this???