Sunday, October 17, 2004

Influencing Family

My 18 year old niece stopped by the other day, along with her fiancé. The purpose of the visit had nothing to do with religious studies, but we ended up talking a lot about Wicca.

Turns out both she and her fiancé have studied Wicca quite a bit. I found myself getting excited because we might be able to share our thoughts and what we’ve learned… but the more I spoke to her, the more I thought they weren’t living their studies… it was just more of a hobby.

That bothered me and I wanted to say that studying Wicca isn’t a game. I bit my tongue though… I figure that maybe eventually they would take it a bit more seriously. But then her fiancé said he believes he is a Christian Wiccan… and I ended our conversation with the statement that what he said was a contradiction to Christianity and a heavy argument for those who are Wiccan.

I wanted to share my thoughts, but also didn’t want to force my opinions on them. They are young and will do what they will anyway… maybe one day they’ll actually figure it out for themselves.

They are getting married in March of 2005, in a Christian church… my young niece who wears pentagrams openly… *sigh* It will be interesting keeping track of her studies and where it leads her… but I think I’ll let her learn for herself.