Saturday, October 16, 2004

First Time Blogging

Today is as good a day to start blogging as any other. I thought I would give keeping a web journal a try.

My Studies

Over the past several months my religious studies have taken me down many paths. Today, I find that I am bothered at how most of our learning materials in the US push Christian beliefs, and how most Christian’s still don’t realize that quite a bit of their religious practices are based on early Pagan practices. How appalled they seem when you explain how this is so…

I’m finding myself irritated with people preaching Christianity- yet constantly referencing forms of Pagan beliefs. Like my boss, for example. I love her dearly mind you, but she doesn’t realize her hypocrisy. She says things like “these things happen in sets of three” and “Robin, you are a Goddess.” She doesn’t know that I have chosen a Pagan path… but for someone who constantly sends me Christian books, emails, etc… and claims to have heavily studied the Christian Bible- why would she use these references?

I’m probably just being moody at the moment, but I am wondering if most Pagans go through a stage where they realize the same hypocrisy. I figure if you are going to believe in something and claim to be dedicated to it, that you would seriously study the entire history of it all. I guess most people are just followers- they believe what they are told to believe in. Many people don’t have enough interest to find out the truth if it requires heavy reading and research.

Other Stuff

On another note… I nearly cut the tip of my right middle finger off yesterday. I run a graphics department and have always lectured my employees to be very careful when using the commercial paper cutter. I can’t stress enough just how important it is to pay attention to what you are doing when you are cutting graphics.

Well, this guy I work with came in to talk about an art show I had the previous evening. I was cutting postcards and… I hate to say it… I wasn’t paying attention. I was looking up at him when I brought the blade down and I felt it go in my finger. It didn’t hurt because the blade is super freaky sharp, but I knew what I did. Blood everywhere! I thought I was going to pass out! So, I had to rush to our company clinic. Luckily, I didn’t have to get stitches… the doc said if it would have gone 1mm deeper I would have. It’s quite nasty looking though. I was mainly concerned about it getting infected- but I am already taking antibiotics and the doc gave me a tetnis shot. Ouch!

All in all, the main thing that is upsetting to me is how negligent I was around a dangerous piece of equipment. How I did the very thing I teach others not to do! Such a fool!

The other upsetting thing was I tend to forget that I’ve got that red stuff inside me and it can come gushing out with the slightest cut! I’m not one to get queasy over things like that… but only when it’s happening to someone else. When it’s happening to me it’s a different story… go figure. I am human after all.